Today I am planning to make several new recipes that I have been dying to try. For those of you who are familiar with Sheaux Sweets, you may think I'm working on some new delightfully unrefined treat. Sorry, there will no twist on the Pecan Cup or Orange Cranberry Oatmeal Raisin Bar this week. Like those for Sheaux Sweets, the ingredients for today's recipes have been minimally processed in order to retain as much of their natural qualities as possible. Also like Sheaux Sweets, I will be making everything myself and in most circumstances, much of what I will be making could be used as part of a healthy, delicious meal...for humans. But today, I am not creating recipes for human consumption. I am making homemade organic pesticides. That's right. Today I am on a murderous mission. These recipes are intended to assassinate aphids, slaughter stinkbugs, and generally persecute any critter attempting to make a free buffet of our gardens.
You may be surprised to know how many common household items, especially those found in the kitchen, can be used to eliminate pests. Most of the things I'll be using are not only edible, but are used to make delicious dishes. Others aren't quite as tasty but they definitely won't harm anyone if used properly. My list of ingredients includes garlic, onions, cayenne peppers, tomato leaves, olive oil, safflower oil, rosemary, cloves, thyme, cinnamon, neem oil, cow’s milk and dish soap.
I'm looking forward to trying out several recipes today and I will be sure to let you know how they turn out! Happy gardening!
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 was a very busy day for Sheaux Fresh. Three big things happened for us today.
1. We kicked off Sheaux Fresh Wednesdays at the Corner Muse, one of Our Fantastic Supporters.
2. Another one of Our Fantastic Supporters, really cool guy named Troy cleared the rest of the property at the future site of our second garden.
3. We learned that Sheaux Fresh was selected to participate in the 2011 Social Entrepreneurs of New Orleans (SENO) New Ventures Accelerator!
We are happy, excited, thankful, optimistic and WORN OUT! I don't have the energy to describe all that went on today so I'll just let the pictures do the talking.
Find out about Social Entrepreneurs of New Orleans at www.seno-nola.org!
Every Wednesday from 12pm until 4pm Sheaux Fresh will be selling produce at the Corner Muse at 1381 Magazine Street in the Lower Garden District. You'll love our fresh veggies and herbs and you'll love the Corner Muse!
Father and son harvesting lettuce.
Even though most people who know our family know that we have a productive and extensive garden, they are often surprised at how many different fruits, vegetables and herbs my children recognize and enjoy eating. Honestly, I don't think they can help it. They've all been in the garden since they were babies and they take pride in helping plant, water, weed and harvest. They're pretty much gardeners in training. Still not convinced? Here are a few reasons to get your kids gardening with you.
1. Gardening offers a great opportunity for you and your children to get outside for some fresh air and physical activity.
2. Gardening with your children allows you time to talk and share with each other without many of the most common electronic distractions.
3. Children can learn responsibility by taking care of something and watching how it thrives under their care. They could learn the same thing by having a pet but a plant won’t leave stinky stains on your carpet or destroy your favorite pair of shoes.
4. Helps them to respect and appreciate nature.
5. Little fingers are great at pulling weeds. Just make sure they know the difference between weeds and plants that you want to keep.
6. They’ll usually be very excited about eating what they helped grow.
For more about gardening with your children click here.